Position Overview | Development Lead
The Development Lead will represent the entirety of The C2 Group’s Development team, facilitating mentorship and coaching, owning and refining core process, and leading the continued growth and success of one of the core functions of our organization.
The ideal candidate will have experience directly managing developers, have a strong, proven technical acumen in the .Net, C#, and Vue.js space, and proven business impact across teams and organizations. This position will work closely with other team leads including design and quality to influence efficiency and KPIs, while also working in a cross-functional capacity with clients to ensure an optimal combination of service and support.
The C2 Group is located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We support a flexible and remote work environment. Our preference for this position will be candidates located in Michigan allowing for occasional trips to Grand Rapids.
The C2 Group builds, integrates, and delivers business-critical web solutions that get the most from technologies, tools, and teams. Our primary focuses include UX/UI design, web and application development, cloud hosting, and ongoing support.
- Intentional – Intent drives how we engage our work and interact with others. Deliberate action, focus, willingness, empathy, and staying calm under pressure each exemplify being intentional. We seek to be purposeful in our actions and thoughtful in our delivery.
- Enthusiastic – Enthusiasm shapes our actions while demonstrating knowledge, passion, and confidence. Our work requires maintaining a realistic and positive vision for the future. Whether it’s in service to team or task, we look to engage with a positive focus and energy.
- Low Ego – Maintaining a low ego provides the right context for serving others. While we are all talented and unique contributors, we realize success is ultimately a team pursuit. We aspire to be accountable, receptive to feedback, and team oriented.
Accountabilities of the Development Lead:
Lead, Manage, and hold the Development Team Accountable
- Support and promote the company values, culture, and HR processes
- Lead, coach, and manage direct reports
- Recruit, reward, and recognize employees
- Provide the necessary training opportunities, tools, and resources to ensure team success
- Provide clear direction in weekly team checkpoints
- Conduct individual “same page” reviews with direct reports
- Manage performance feedback in quarterly conversations and annual performance reviews
- Implement resources to drive set utilization targets
Development Process Ownership
- Drive process improvements and efficiencies for the Development team
- Work to improve and streamline service options and overall service capacity
- Build optimization process to track impact of project post launch as a means of identifying future work
- Act as a key voice in the adoption of scaled workflow principles
- Standardize scope communication, management, and reporting standards in centralized locations
- Recommend project methodologies by engaging with clients and team members
Maintain Development KPIs
- Manage and regularly report on key Development metrics, including the following:
- Planned resource utilization
- Actual resource utilization
- Planning vs actual development scope
- Nonbillable time flagged monthly
- Coaching/mentoring staff milestones
- Own and monitor development scope goals and raise awareness around scope increase
- Create strategic plan to incrementally achieve goal of 10% efficiency year over year for the next three (3) fiscal years, measure, and present
Development Tools Ownership
- Manage tools and licensing required for tools pertaining directly to the development process
- Identify workflow issues/bottlenecks, proactively shape recommendations, escalating when necessary
Sustain Inter-Departmental Growth & Mentoring
- Support and own the Development mentoring and growth process and ensure Jr and Mid-level developers are coached appropriately both personally and professionally
- Develop onboarding, advancement, and goal plans to support employee growth and retention
- Advise team members around critical project activities including but not limited to timelines, issues, code, and bug remediation
Project Consulting Support
- Identify barriers and challenges and work with Development Team and Ops Leads on comprehensive solutions
- Interface with client as a point of escalation for team to discuss barriers, timelines, scope, and/or challenges
Manage External Development Partners
- Oversee external partner’s code, commits, PRs, and overall project efforts
- Work with Production Manager to monitor and scale capacity accordingly
- Determine developer partner skill sets and communicate effectiveness accordingly
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree specializing in business with a technical discipline, IT, computer science or equivalent work experience
- Eight (8) or more years of experience in a related field
- Five (5) or more years of experience leading a team of direct reports
- Experience with .Net, C#, Vue.js
- Experience with CMS platforms, specifically Optimizely, would be a bonus